Thursday, November 20, 2008

Life Guards



In New Zealand, there are many volunteer life guards. In summer, during the weekends, they are mainly volunteers. My friend J's daughter is one.

They adopted a New Zealand icon, the jandal to raise funds. We bought key chains of their red and yellow jandal.

Piha beach has very good surfs, but the rip is also very strong. The life guards jobs are invaluable. In the early 1980s, I was just enjoying the surf with my girl friend E. We jumped at the surf holding hands. The next moment I knew, I was swept out to sea and I couldn't touch the sea floor.

My friend was very worried as she could see me swimming frentically. She could tell I was panicking. God sent an angel in the form of a handsome macho man. The kind saviour grabbed hold of me and walked me back to the beach. My friend was so relieved. I wish he would give me a mouth to mouth resuscitation. At that time, I didn't think about pretending to be sick. My friend E who now lives in Melbourne, Australia still recounts this incident.

Last year, some of the littlies in my school went there for water saftey lessons. My colleague D said she won't go there, too many sad stories of drownings.

There is a TV show which shows the heroics of the Piha Life Guards.

No comments: