Friday, January 2, 2009

Beautiful things



My friend A.M. sent her New Year Greetings in a powerpoint by sapphire production. It was some seventeen beautiful flowers, and the last photography was a pix of my Indian kale or the Black slipper. I got this plant from the jungle, and am wondering where the photographer got his.

MyDearFriends.ppt (4495KB)

Some friend suggested I have a coffee table book of my photographs of flowers and plants. They are more meaningful as I planted many of them myself.

These two pix are thistles, even weeds can be beautiful when you try to appreciate them. Some of them grow in the fringe of my garden, and the prickles make it too difficult to weed. The Thistle is the symbols of Scotland -

Thistle is the common name of a group of flowering plants characterised by leaves with sharp prickles on the margins, mostly in the plant family Asteraceae. Prickles often occur all over the plant - on surfaces such as those of the stem and flat parts of leaves. These are an adaptation to protect the plant against herbivorous animals, discouraging them from feeding on the plant. Typically, an involucre with a clasping shape of a cup or urn subtends each of a thistle's flowerheads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thistle

No comments: