Monday, February 14, 2011

My World Tuesday geodesic dome





http://showyourworld.blogspot.com/

After the horror of cyclone Yasi, my Australian nephew is taught to be cyclone smart.
Lincoln had to do a school project on cyclone proof shelter. In this picture, the school project is made using A4 Paper.

Then they decided to a build a model out of newspaper for his little brother Thomas. Testing his dome is sister Olivia and their neighbour Noah.

A geodesic dome is a spherical or partial-spherical shell structure or lattice shell based on a network of great circles (geodesics) lying on the surface of a sphere. The geodesics intersect to form triangular elements that have local triangular rigidity and also distribute the stress across the entire structure.

Lincoln is quite an inventor. Last year, he did a recycling project. Ka Pai and paki paki Lincoln.

6 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Gosh, lots of science involved in the structure? I guess what you are saying is that the way it's made and the shapes make it really extra strong!! Well, are there giant ones that people get into for cyclones? I hope they are attached to the ground!

Marja said...

Aren't they gorgeous and clever
Must be scary to experience a cyclone

Ensurai said...

That's a good science project....good boys!! You must be very proud of them....Great aunt too..hehehe

Reader Wil said...

This a very great project. Hopefully there will be a solution to build really cyclone prove houses and bigger buildings in Australia and others that are waterproof as well!

Gattina said...

Wow ! that's a very nice work ! and very interesting too !

I think you once sent me your email, but I can't find it, it's because when you ask me a question I want to answer !
The yellow thing on my photoblog is I don't know what ! Just hanging in my garden. I am very bad in botanic and can only recognize roses, tulips and a few others, lol !

genie said...

You all are the best....so creative. I wish our middle schoolers here and their families would show the interest that you all have. The family shots are just so dear. The smiles are infectious. As always, thanks for the visit.