Friday, August 18, 2017

abc Letter G for Grandma's flower power

 Image may contain: plant, flower, outdoor and nature



Image may contain: plant, flower, nature and outdoorImage may contain: plant, flower, nature and outdoor
 'In honour of @[100002531508875:2048:Nicolas Blackburn]'s Commonwealth school, my second blue flower.

Plumbago auriculata'
Image may contain: plant, flower, nature and outdoor


Image may contain: plant, flower, outdoor and nature
'Linaria purpurea special purple flower I just photographed from the garden for my other niece.  J @[100001955643386:2048:Ah Ling]'

Image may contain: flower, plant, nature and outdoorImage may contain: flower, plant, outdoor and nature
When ever I watch on television or print copies of advertisements of ladies soaking in a tub of water with orchids floating on top of it in a spa, I remember my grand mother’s flower power treatment.

The year was 1975, my sister had her first baby, and my nephew wasn’t sucking well. She was suffering from a breast abscess. Grand Ma sent me around the neighborhood to scour for nine different kinds of flowers. They had to be of different hues as well.

It wasn’t easy looking for nine types of flowers and besides I thought she was old fashion and I felt rather stupid going up to people’s house asking for some of their flowers. We were also new to the neighbourhood.

“I need a handful of your mauve colored flowers.”

“Why do you want my flowers?”

“Because my sister has………. breast infection.”

As a teenager, it was rather embarrassing explaining that part of the anatomy. Fortunately, the neighbors were very kind and helpful, and some even helped me pluck the flowers.

After I filled my basketful of flowers of nine different hues I came home. Grand Ma put them in the long bath tub and ran hot water into the tub. Then she and my sister locked themselves in the bathroom. I stood outside the bathroom listening to:

“OW!!!! HOT!!!HOT!!!”

“It’s got to be hot, otherwise it won’t work.”

After that hot flower treatment, my sister got better. But I was skeptical about Grand Ma’s treatment.

I said,” May be she would have gone better, with or without the flowers.”

http://abcwednesday.com

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

gr8 colors

ABC-Wednesday said...

Lovely combination of G-s.
Beautiful photo's and colors... they spice up every day life!

Have a ♥-warming ABC-Wednes-day / -week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
http://melodymusic.nl/21-g/

Roger Owen Green said...

GREAT flowers!
ROG, ABCW

carol l mckenna said...

Definitely Grandma's flower ~ beautiful ~ great photos and post for G ~ thanks, ^_^

(A SHUTTERBUG EXPLORES)

Hildred said...

Verrry interesting, - whoever knew? Flowers do wonderful things...

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Maybe the different colored flowers distracts a person from the hot water. I like the idea of being treated by 9 hues of flowers though. Good for teenage you of getting the flowers, Ann.

Shady Gardener said...

So happy your sister got better... and aren't you the lucky girl to have a grandma that loves gardening?

Betty said...

That's what I thought too. Maybe she would have gotten better without Grandma's treatment, but I guess we'll never know. I've never heard of that kind of treatment before.

Deepa said...

Lovely Post for G

Click Here to see what Mrs. Dash Says