Friday, May 13, 2011

Save our world: Save our families.



http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com/

My heart is saddened, two days ago, I got this email, but with the blogger problem. I couldn't post it until now. You would have known I am passionate about women's health, especially Breast cancer. I had been blessed with only two benign cysts and do not have cancer.

I am wondering what kind of judge will pass such a cruel judgement, to take away her children. Surely, they should involve social welfare and give her home help.

I have two experiences which the judge should consider. When my older daughter was 8 months old, I came down with a very bad breast abscess and needed an operation. Because my daughter was on my milk 100%, guess what the New Zealand system did? They admitted both of us, so that she could feed from me, and the nurses took care of her. We had our own room, but our door was open. Fellow patients came to the door to wave Hi to her. They thought that D. was the patient and they wondered why a baby was in an adult surgical ward. PAKI PAKI to our system.

3 months later, I was heading for a similar problem, my doctor (a man)and husband thought they would prevent this by separating my daughter from me. I went to stay at my friend's house. This was terrible. My breast was engorging, and my daughter was screaming at home. I stayed a couple of nights, and I couldn't sleep. My husband couldn't handle my daughter. He rang in the middle of the night, and my friend drove me home.

Alaina, tell this to your judge. Right now, your children are your comforters. To take them away from you is cruel.

My readers, do read this email and hopefully you will be touched and act on it.

Change.org

Don't let a North Carolina judge use Alaina Giordano's breast cancer as reason to take away her kids.

Sign the Petition

Dear ann,

Alaina Giordano was diagnosed with breast cancer three and half years ago. That was bad.

This is worse: On April 25th, a judge in North Carolina used Alaina's cancer as a key reason to transfer custody of her 5-year-old son and 11-year-old daughter to her ex-husband (a man Alaina describes as "abusive" and who lives more than 700 miles away).

This is happening even though Alaina says her kids "know that I have cancer, they know that I go for treatment once a month now, they know that it's stable. They know me as mom, and it doesn't affect our daily life."

She has just two weeks to appeal, and her hope is that a huge outcry from the public and local elected officials can help reverse the decision.

Thankfully, that outcry is growing quickly. A petition started by Alaina's sister Lauren has more than 7,000 signatures, Alaina was interviewed on Good Morning America and the Today Show, and media throughout North Carolina and the U.S. are now covering the injustice.

But time is short, and the wrong outcome here sets a dangerous precedent for mothers and fathers with cancer or other serious diseases. Please sign Lauren's petition asking that Alaina Giordano's breast cancer not be used as a reason to take away her kids:

http://www.change.org/petitions/do-not-allow-nc-judge-to-take-alaina-giordanos-children-just-because-she-has-cancer

Thanks for taking action,

- Shelby and the Change.org team

P.S. Alaina is urgently looking for a lawyer who can help with her appeal, pro bono. If you're qualified to practice law in North Carolina and can help, shoot me an email at Shelby.Knox@Change.org.



This email was sent by Change.org
Start a petition

4 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have never in my life heard of such a thing happening!!! I also just caught up on your nurse post, so glad I can see them!!

Karin said...

Wow, that is unbelievable and just absolutely wrong! Thanks for bringing that to people's attention!

Ensurai said...

Yeah...I could not get into blogger for a few days...and now I am just writing this note to tell you how much your article means to me!! We must always have kind thoughts towards these good angels in the wards.

My best nurse award goes to Miss Mona Pengelley who served well in Bukit Lan and operated a mobile clinic....(snakes in longhouses were common to her....)

Ensurai said...

Go to my blog and read the merrry go round posting again....