Thursday, February 7, 2013

FSO: Doors and windows



 right couplet
 left couplet
This is my mum's ancestral home. Nothing pretentious.  This is a house my uncle built replacing the old house we loved.

Traditionally, just before Chinese New Year which is now, people get educated calligraphers to write auspicious words on Red paper and paste it outside the door. My grand father used to do a lot of these writing.

I was surprised my uncle had his framed and on white paper. On top of the door , it has the name of the house.




5 comments:

Jama said...

That is one lovely house!

Suburban Girl said...

Happy New Year...what is the name of the house?

Unknown said...

I love this house. Love the custom too. The name of my house is "Riverbirch" because of the huge riverbirch tree in our front yard.
Happy New Year dear friend.
QMM

Pauline said...

Lovely post, Ann. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

For me, this is a beautiful ancestral home. How old is this house? It seems that the materials are still in good condition, particularly the metal roof and walls. The calligraphy in the upper door is beautiful written. I can feel the oriental atmosphere from the entrance. +Ashlee Starns