Wednesday, June 3, 2009

New Zealand, the most peaceful country????



What do you think?
Even the gannets think so. LOL. Every year in August to March, about 1,200 pairs of gannets nest here in Muriwai, West Auckland. Then they fly off to Australia coming back to roost. I find it very peaceful when I come to Muriwai at different times of the year. Some times you see the newly hatched fluffy nestlings, and a few weeks later, you see them attempt to fly.
People say they fish because of the peace and tranquility. Here in Muriwai, hordes of immigrants come to do rock fishing. They must know what they are talking about. My Vietnamese student tells me that his Dad and him spend the whole day fishing. When I asked if I could tag along, he says," No! it not for girls."
Click on the second photo to see the fishermen.
You need just to drive one hour to see this beautiful sight.
New Zealand has been judged the most peaceful nation in the world.

An Australian thinktank recognised our stable political situation, relatively low rate of violence and decrease in military spending.

The Institute for Economics and Peace list was created after the start of the global recession, finding the financial meltdown was dragging the world toward political instability and conflict.

It laid out its key findings ahead of the publication of its annual Global Peace Index, a report prepared with the Economist Intelligence Unit.

The report, which surveyed 144 countries, says New Zealand's rise to first is partly explained by the election of a National-Act coalition last year.

"The centre-right National Party has a strong popular mandate and a robust parliamentary majority by New Zealand's standards, putting the new Prime Minister, John Key, in a good position to push through his agenda."

It also says New Zealand received the best possible scores for the likelihood of violent demonstrations, the homicide rate and the level of respect for human rights.


http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10576106

6 comments:

amuse me said...

We have a very good friend soon to be moving to New Zealand. She and her soon-to-be husband will be married in your country. I'm looking forward to hearing about it and seeing her pictures, just like I've enjoyed so much of what you have posted.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

A beautiful area you show with the many birds. I think New Zealand is the only country I would choose to live if I would leave Australia. I wished Our Government would cut back on war spending. He promised it, but now its gone with the wind. I think the high office has got to his little head!

Mary-Laure said...

I've been dreaming for years of going to New Zealand, ever since I fell in love with the writings of Janet Frame.

Karen ~Georgia Angel said...

Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

What beautiful shots of the shore Ann. I read that article about New Zealand being the most peaceful country. I think that your country's respect for human rights should be adopted worldwide. Many countries have much to learn about the "live and let live" concept of life. A model country you live in!!

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Unknown said...

I'm a Kiwi currewntly living in the US. I've been telling people, over here, for years, that NZ is a really peaceful country to live in... and now what I've been saying has been validated !!! :-)

Love the photos from back home !