Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Save the world:raise awareness on extreme poverty

https://www.livebelowtheline.com/me/shateo

Live Below the Line - Sharlene Teo
www.livebelowtheline.com
Live Below the Line is a week like no other. From May 7th - 11th, thousands of Australians will spend just $2 a day on food. They'll gain a small insight into what it means to live in extreme poverty - whilst raising funds to fight extreme poverty.

I am very proud of my niece Sharlene. She is studying at the University of Queensland. Chicken porridge is a runny gruel. I hope she and her sister Arlene are not too hungry tonight. Ka Pai and good luck Sharlene.

Why I'm taking the challenge:

Since I keep complaining that I'm poor but spending unnecessarily anyways, this is going to be an eye opener for me to feel what it's like to be only able to afford spending $2 a day. So I'm challenging myself while helping raise awareness on extreme poverty ; raise funds for education opportunities for the people in Papua New Guinea.

Survived Day 1!

Dinner: Chicken Porridge
Rice (500ml) - approx. $0.60
Leftover chicken from last night's dinner - approx. $2
Spices - approx $0.10
Total: $2.70

But I was sharing dinner with my sister, and there was a portion left. So tonight's dinner would total up to be about $0.90, which brings my day's total to $1.48!

Day 1
posted about 9 hours ago

Breakfast:
2 slices of bread - $0.16
Butter & Jam - approx. $0.10
1/2 cup of milk - approx. $0.13

Lunch:
2 slices of bread - $0.16
Butter - approx. $0.03

Total so far: $0.58


http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com/ 

4 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

This sure is an effective way to experience how the very poor people live...your niece is both beautiful and caring.

nannykim said...

Wow--that would be tricky to do! We are mainly vegans (but sometimes branch out)--I guess it would be beans and rice for me!!

Ensurai said...

That's a great thing to do...many people could follow your plans and raise awareness and funds for the poor. You are blessed indeed to have nieces who care for others so much.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Chan: Good Work! Sharlene