Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Alphabe-Thursday. Letter P for Plants



My Grand father would be very proud of me. I planted these two Neem trees in the campus of the Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.

What is amazing is , we staff residents were not allowed to plant anything, the university wanted a manicured campus. But I was a "Freedom" person, I didn't care. I planted these Neem trees in the open area.  The tree cutters left them untouched because they know Neems are useful medicinal plants.

Many years after I left Singapore, NTU hosted the Junior Olympics, and don't know for what reason, they tagged all the trees. So my two trees were tagged and were saved from being chopped.

Another amazing story is how I got the cuttings. To make the story short, I googled the world expert on Neem, and this Professor from India had just been to Singapore for a conference. He emailed the Ngee Ann Poly lecturer, who then passed 12 twigs to my neighbour who was lecturing there. From talking about it in the morning to receiving them in my hand it was 8 hours. My two twigs survived.
http://jennymatlock.blogspot.co.nz/



search/label/Alphabe-Thursday. Jenny Matlock

No comments: