Thursday, March 13, 2014

FSO: Water



An overcrowded boat similar to the above aeroplane looking boat sank, and 20 perished. People who are not from the Rejang area are weary of going in these boats.

We respect our water. I remember my early secondary school Geography education. Sarawak has 144 inches of rain. In my adopt country, sometimes we have heavy rain too. Today we are expecting Cyclone Lusi to come to our shore. We are going to have lots of water.

Having been married to a water engineer for more than 30 years, it is inevitable that part of his water knowledge is passed on to me.

The river traffic  has increased, and the banks get eroded. Once, near my maternal grand father's village house, two of those boats had a head on collision. Many drowned.

In the early 1970s, there was a terrible accident involving like the ones below. A teacher took some students in long boats to the rapids. Many students died. My cousin was swept down river and it was a miracle she survived.





These two photos were taken when I went up the mountains at Mulu. This was part of the popular tourist itinerary. The river flow was swift. There were parts where the water was so shallow, they had to use poles to move the boat. We respected the power of the river by wearing life jackets and not over crowding the boats.



Water - From rivers and lakes, to seas and oceans, show us water in and around your town


10 comments:

Sarah Siwicki said...

Great pictures of your boating trip. I grew up near the ocean so I both love and respect the waters.

Jama said...

It's quiet scary looking at the rapid water flow, I think I rather give such activity a miss, but the citizens there simply have no choice.

Unknown said...

Scary but great pics! Awesome

Ruth Kelly said...

I love the water shot near Mulu. It is sad to lose anyone in the water especially boat accidents.

Kerry said...

Frightening stories! I would respect that water, too, and try not to get on too many boats. yikes.

Suburban Girl said...

I am glad to see the life jackets being worn, it just isn't worth the risk.

Pauline said...

Fast flowing water can be so deceptive, it often doesn't look as dangerous as it is. I like the last shot.

Unknown said...

Always some sad stories where boats are needed and used. Our family had spent a lot of time on our lakes just water skiing and fishing. Always wear the life jackets. No bad accidents so far.

Barb said...

You have many reasons to be wary and respectful of water. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

love the last two shots Ann. water is so very powerful. many don't realize how much it is.