Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Elephant

This is a model of an elephant given by my Sri Lanka friend V in NTU in Singapore. I brought it over to NZ with me. Once, they had a green grass snake in their balcony. They just left it alone.

The first elephant model I had, my Dad bought it in India in 1958, he was sailing in a P & O liner from London to Singapore. When the ship stopped in India, he bought a black teak elephant. Dad was a collector, he bought a souvenir every where he went.

In 2000s, we went for a holiday in Bangkok. The Tuk Tuk taxi driver took us to this duty shop. He said," Please you just go in for 10 mintues, and I will get a petrol voucher. You don't have to buy anything." It turned out, I saw a brownish teak elephant, I remembered my dad's elephant. So I bought one. CCO took it to his office.

1 comment:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That was a good buy, made the taxi driver happy and it was a lovely memory for you. I am not a collector like your dad was, but when there is something that brings lovely memories that is different!