Sunday, June 7, 2015

Yellow: Saffron rice





 I  use the spice knowing that it is more expensive than gold, and when I produce  my "Bring a Plate" my pot of saffron rice, my host will know that I brought something special. It's aroma is very unusual, and you don't need to doctor the taste with lots of addictives. I just fry up some ginger, garlic and onion.

Yesterday, I had to cook for many people. I couldn't afford to use saffron.  I cooked the cheaper version of yellow rice, using tumeric or yellow ginger. The rice turns out more yellow, and to make it more aromatic, I have to add coconut milk or suntan. In South East Asia, they call it nasi Kunic.

 This info is from wikipedia.
Saffron (pronounced /ˈsæfrən/, /ˈsæfrɒn/; Persian: زَعْفَرَان; Chinese: 藏红花) is a spice derived from the dried stigma of the flower of the saffron crocus (Crocus sativus), a species of crocus in the family Iridaceae. 

When not used fresh, the rhizomes are boiled for about 30–45 minutes and then dried in hot ovens,[5] after which they are ground into a deep-orange-yellow powder commonly used as a spice in Indian cuisinePakistani cuisineand curries, for dyeing, and to impart color to mustard condiments. One active ingredient is curcumin, which has a distinctly earthy, slightly bitter, slightly hotpeppery flavor and a mustardy smell.


http://mondaymellowyellows.blogspot.com.au/


  
http://rubytuesdaytoo.blogspot.co.nz/

2 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I would love to try the real thing when cooked by an expert (like you). I am afraid to try saffron because it costs the earth and I don't know enough about it.

Lea said...

I have never used Saffron because it is so expensive here in the US. I am sure your guests love your saffron rice. It looks good!
Last week you asked about the Pink Primrose photo on my blog. Oil of Evening Primrose is made from a different Primrose - the Evening Primrose. It is a taller plant (about knee-high) with yellow flowers.
Have a great week!
Lea