Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My world Tuesday: Giant Transport machine



http://showyourworld.blogspot.com/
I received an email in school warning of a closure of Newmarket Viaduct's southbound motorway lanes early next month.

I was not alone, sports clubs, schools and churches are among scores of organisations being blitzed by an email campaign by Transport Agency.

"No, this is not a hoax," says a message on the Transport Agency's website, in reaction to inquiries from some disbelieving email recipients about the closure of one of New Zealand's busiest motorway arteries for up to 36 hours from 5pm on Saturday, September 4.

This machine which I saw on my way south in April drew my attention. My friend asked why I took the photo. It is an 800-tonne piece of equipment on to the existing southbound carriageway, which will be demolished to make way for a new northbound structure.

That machine is the giant blue lifting gantry that has dominated the Newmarket skyline since the beginning of this year, and which will be moved by its own power generator on large metal sliding beams, from on top of the new southbound structure it has just finished building.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a huge and amazing thing to see on the road!

BraCom said...

Wow very huge. Do you know what it is?

Have a nice week,
Greetings, Bram

My WordPress Blog

Seen om My World Tuesday

eileeninmd said...

It is a huge machine, road closures can be such a pain sometimes. I guess we all learn new ways and some patience.

Ensurai said...

Amazing is the word!

Indrani said...

That is really huge.
Great capture.

Gwendolyn L said...

Interesting story and great photo. Progress.........oh the price. Thanks for sharing.

jabblog said...

It's unbelievable that something that size can actually move. I hope the road closure won't be too disruptive.
By the way, you asked how many dogs we have. We have four of our own, two Dalmatians and two Labradors. At the moment we're looking after our eldest daughter's two Labradors so there are six in the house!

Reader Wil said...

Wow! I have never seen such a big machine!
Thanks for your visit. No, we were not honoured as survivors. It took a long time before we could talk about our experiences. The Jewish ex-prisoners couldn't talk about their camps either, but sooner than we could do.It doesn't matter. The only thing we should like is that Japan teaches their children that this was a terrible war, that Japan started it, but that the people of today are absolutely not guilty. We learn at school that the Dutch were slavetraders and colonists and oppressors of the indigenous peoples of the Indonesian archipelago, but we know that we have learnt many lessons, so that we will never do that again. We are now taught to have respect for other cultures. In Germany the pupils of the secondary schools are obliged to go and see Dachau or any other concentration camp. They know the dangers of nazism!

Sylvia K said...

That is one HUGE machine! Great shot, Ann! Hope your week is off to a good start! Enjoy!

Sylvia

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. You ask about my first husband. He was in a regimental band and was based in Shanghai when the Japanese war began. He was a boy soldier and was taken prisoner shortly after his sixteenth birthday in Malaya.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Good grief! I'm glad you got that picture. But what is it's purpose, what does it do? Lift things somehow?

Cheryl said...

I am amazed by this machine! Its huge! I too would have taken a photo of such a big machine.

SandyCarlson said...

What is possible with all this equipment just plain amazes me.