Monday, August 9, 2010

save the world:every bit counts New Zealand Endemic Bird.





http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com/

New Zealand is home to several highly peculiar endemic parrots, with three similar-looking species being of particular interest: the Kakapo Strigops habroptila, KeaNestor notabilis, and Kaka N. meridionalis.

The kakapo is the rarest parrot in the world. It’s flightless, it’s the world’s heaviest parrot, it's possibly the oldest living bird and it has a subsonic mating boom that can travel several kilometres.

By the middle of the 20th century the kakapo was a lost species, Because of Polynesian and European colonisation and the introduction of predators such as cats, rats, and stoats,the Kakapo was almost wiped out. The Kakapo is critically endangered; as of February 2010, there are 122 of them.

Hello,
VERY exciting news...we are just one of 2 schools in Auckland who have been invited to take part in the DOC Words on a Wing event.
2010 is the International Year of Biodiversity.
Last Thursday 5th August a giant Kakapo arrived at our school and will live in the school office for 2 weeks.
During that time we want as many children and parents and members of our school community to write a small message about Biodiversity onto a feather and attach it to the bird.
Our Year 5+ 6 children have done tons of learning around Biodiversity last term and for the other classes it can be a simple message along the lines of...

* I have a waste free lunch
* I walk/bike/scooter to school
* I recycle my paper
* I turn off the light when I leave the room
* I turn off the tap when I brush my teeth
Words on a Wing enables young people throughout New Zealand to write messages about biodiversity and attach them to a giant kākāpō, and is an opportunity to tell world leaders why biodiversity matters to them, what they want leaders to do about its loss, and what they are doing to enhance biodiversity.

6 comments:

Ensurai said...

This is amazing!! Wish more teachers can do this in Sarawak.

Verns said...

Hi Ann, thanks for the visit ... how I wish corporations should initiate the move by reducing if not eliminating plastic usage.. so much to be done... thanks for seeing me.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am LOVING this, because I am a birdwatcher. I am very excited to learn about this strange bird that I had never heard of before! I went to your link and looked at them, they are huge! What a wonderful thing for the schools to do, and the big Kakapo replica is a perfect way to get them interested in the environment.

Unknown said...

You know, now i am so proud of my lil ones, especially my youngest son,at the age of 9,he is so enthusiatic about saving the earth already, he would take of the lights as soon as he comes out of the room, he would watch over his mother when washing dishes to make sure his mom would not waste too much water,

hahahah, will get him to read your blog,,we must do it now or never,right?

Unknown said...

Nice post and didn't know about such a 'kakapo' bird till now. My son is the only most eco conscious person at home, he practised almost everything you did except traveling by car as its too far to cycle. Keep up the good work with the children. Hugs..:O))

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Teach them early in life is the best approach to save the world... ~ bangchik