Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Outdoor Wednesday: Ngarimu Blair

This is my friend Ngarimu Blair. He is the Heritage & Resource Manager of NGATI WHATUA O ORAKEI CORPORATE LTD. Ngarimu has received a Sir Peter Blake Emerging Leaders award for his work, which includes advocating for better care of Maungawhau Mt Eden and Auckland’s other volcanic cones and he did his work on behalf of Ngati Whatua o Orakei.

Our paths crossed when I responded to his invitation to join him in his Zero waste project on Waitangi Day last year. I seized the opportunity to sleep in his Marae ( a very rare privilege and opportunity) and to help spread the message of re-cycle, re-use and reduce.


This is for Ginny, she asked me what a Marae is. It has a triangle shape and is a Maori sacred meeting house for religious and social purposes.

When my Kelabit Brother in Law Kallang from Borneo came to visit New Zealand, he wanted to get to know the Maori culture which is very much like his, I asked Ngarimu if they could visit his land at the Bastion Point. It was like a lost cousin for the return home. Ngarimu extended his Maori welcome, and Kallang went home very happy to report to his people in the Bario Mountains of this new found cousin and his way of life.

Ngarimu further extended his hospitality by taking us to these gun placement. Only privileged guests get invited there.

On 350 Day, International Day of Climate Action. I climbed up the Big King Volcano, Ngarimu was there.



http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com


COMBINING a love of culture, heritage and nature has seen Ngarimu Blair named as one of the country's up and coming leaders.

The Mt Eden resident recently received a Sir Peter Blake Emerging Leaders award for his work on behalf of Ngati Whatua o Orakei.

Ngarimu says he was surprised to receive the award, which he says is not just recognition for him but also for his people and the work they do in the Auckland community.

Ka Pai, paki paki and great job, Ngarimu. I salute you.

5 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a wonderful tribute you have written to this caring and hard working man! I wish I could see a picture of you climbing the volcano! Maybe at the top? I do not know the name of the thing you slept in, I'm assuming it was maybe his bus that several of you were travelling in?

Cheryl said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this! Amazing indeed.

Diane AZ said...

What a fascinating experience you had! Interesting post and pictures, I especially like the carved artwork on the Marae.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Thanks for the explanation and picture! I also went back and read the link that you sent in my blog. What a once in a lifetime experience, and all those countries that went! I now have a much better understanding of all this, I am always learning something new from you!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...


Bronwyn Ward Brilliant Ann Chin!! That is absolutely excellent I love it!!! I am honoured to call you my friend!! We shall meet one day and I shall give you the biggest hug for all of the wonderful work you do!! xoxox.