Friday, January 4, 2013

Scenic Sunday: reflections of childhood in Borneo




Two very unusual things happened today.  Augustine Cheong, a fellow Facebook friend posted the above photo. At the background was a class 4 Government Quarter. A house I spent 6 years in two locations in Kanowit and in Sibu. I had been looking for this photo. I sent it to the few FB friends who lived in the vicinity  of Padang Road. Dorothy Abdullah was my one childhood friend. She lived 2 houses up from us. We played, my older sister E babysat for them.

This Cassia fistula or Golden shower tree, is a flowering tree of my youth.When I was five, we moved down from a small town to Sibu. We lived in the Government quarters off Race Course Road. In the section across the road, there was this big tree. When it bloomed, it had big flowing sprays of yellow flowers. When the wind blew, the petals will drop to the ground. Sometimes, a whole spray will fall. This is why it is called a Golden Shower tree.

In Sarawak, the tropical weather meant an afternoon shower. People did their laundry everyday and we didn't have driers or washing machines. My sweet memories of this tree was my sister Margaret and I would jump across the creek when the wind blew so we could retrieve those sprays. We played brides using them as wedding bouquets. My mum would scream at us to help her bring the washing in before the rains came. We didn't listen, playing was more important to us.

Dorothy, I can't remember if you too joined us chase these fallen blooms.

The other thing that happened was Dorothy said that her mum died yesterday. How great a coincidence is that, I haven't seen Dorothy since 1966, just a couple of month ago, I found her on Facebook, and  we updated each other with our news.

Well Dorothy,
Your tears will flow,
Let them flow,
Because you love her.

But be consoled that she is no longer  in pain.
If we look on the bright side,
Your Dad is welcoming her to Heaven.
And my parents are saying, welcome old neighbour.




http://scenicsunday.blogspot.com/ 


1 comment:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

It is nice reconnecting with old friends.