Saturday, December 6, 2008

Thai King's Birthday.

On 5 December 2008, the Thai King celebrated his 81st birthday. This special event was known as "the Celebrations on the Auspicious Occasion of His Majesty the King 81st Birthday Anniversary."

Over in Auckland, where many of the Thai migrants have settled, they celebrate the ocasion on Sunday at Rocket park directly opposite my church. My Thai students told me to go there to be immersed with Thai Music and culture. There was a big prayer celebration by Buddhist monks in their yellow and brown robes.

There were stalls of cooked Thai food and salad. I bought chilli plants and a big pot of Thai basil. The people mingle or just bask in the hot summer sun.

I think of the different cultures living in Auckland making her a vibrant city.

No comments: