Tuesday, May 19, 2009

By-election Fever: June 13


The Mt Albert seat was left vacant by the previous Prime Minister Helen Clark who went to work for the United Nations. There are many contestants.  There is a lot of knocking on doors, and party supporters who put advertisement signs at their fence.  On public land, usually at junctions of road, each candidate is allowed to put up his/her sign.

I had a chance to work on the voting booth, but I declined They tell me that it is long hours. Back in 1975, I had a job counting the votes in Borneo.

3 comments:

aurbie said...

Do they take their signs down after elections? I hate it when candidates put up all those signs and then leave them there after the elections are over. Some states have a law about that, but most don't.

Unknown said...

Similar ones here and we've had non stop of small elections everywhere...

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Hi Patty,

I think all signs have to be taken down at midnight. If they don't, they incur a fine.

We even have a party whose offical colour is yellow. The police wanted to sue the party leader for wearing his yellow tie on the day of the election.