Thursday, January 26, 2012

Friday Shootout: Delicate

We had a surprise this afternoon. My principal organised a surprise treat for us. We had cooking lessons at http://www.maincourse.co.nz/
We made couple of delicate dishes.



Kieren's delicate Thai chicken roll. She was at the next station to mine, and I saw her cutting delicate "lace" work. This is a winning dish.


The cheese ricotta delicate things are very delicate to come out of the silicon tray. I laughed out loud, when Luana, from another team came to help us. No wonder we won.

I have never made lemon tarts before. When Kate asked me to make them, I was really nervous. They have to be baked at the right length of time, otherwise they will split. I didn't help when our oven broke down. Juliet told me to rest them before getting them out. That's how delicate they were. They will break if removed too early from their cases. I am not going to comment on cooking contestants when they say, "I have never made this before." Please look at the tiny delicate cut grapes that Nina did to decorate the tarts.

The coach Jen Jordan taught us well. All our food were not just edible but they were delicious, and well presented. You could see our creativity put in practise.



From an academic school, Pt Chevalier School, the teachers arrive to become cooking students at Main Course, the southern end of the Historic Gas Buildings on Victoria Park in Auckland city.

Thank you, Sandra for this fun event.



My final photo, a tribute to my Domestic Science teacher Mdm Tiong, who taught me when I was 14, to cook delicate yam puffs and to crochet beautiful lace. No, I didn't crochet this, I saw it at a shop window at Pt Chevalier.






Delicate: Show us the delicate side of town! The dancers, the flowers, architectural ornaments..that is our subject this week:)






link to Mr Linky at the Friday shoot out link below.
http://mytownshootout.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

It ALL looks so good!! So you made the lemon tarts? And all of you got to taste everything? What a fun surprise!!! Did you learn anything, will you make any of these things again?

Jo said...

How yummy those lemon tarts look And the Thai chicken puffs in delicate lacy pastry look super too. What a lovely day. Jo

Jama said...

the lemon tarts look yummy and beautifully presented. I love to crochet but have not been doing it for quiet a while now, simply have no time for it.

Unknown said...

Wow would I love a class like that. I love anything lemony. One of our daughters and one of our sons are chefs. Graduated from culinary school but neither work in that area. They just cook for the family.
QMM

GingerV said...

UMMMM - delicacies..... you take a cooking class? what great fun. am thinking of taking one in Italy this fall. the lemon tarts would be my favorite....

Bagman and Butler said...

A mouth-watering homage to the true meaning of a "delicacy"...

Cheryl said...

Oh yummy! What fun it must have been to participate in such a fun and delicious project!

lina@home sweet home said...

Wow, a surprise cooking lesson! So great :)

The food looks perfect, Ann

Pauline said...

Delicate and delicious, what a lovely combination. And it looks like fun, too.

J9 said...

I like the crochet!