Sunday, October 7, 2012

Our world Tue/outdoor Wed:letter boxes




When I was in primary school in Sibu, Sarawak in Borneo, our loaf of bread was delivered every morning by a young teenage boy. We had a balcony and if it rained, he flung the loaf of bread on to the balcony and the loaf got all squashed and mum would get angry and threatened to tell his boss. Dad said he was just a young boy trying to help his parents.

Today, on Facebook, a friend, Francis Chen liked a photo of a pink letter box. I told him, "  I like that letter box your like. Recently, I shared with my adult ESOL students. When I was in Canada, my friends and I used to rent a car and drive around, (Choon Swee Ning was the driver). One of us said he thought that the letter box was a bread box/container.  The shape suited one loaf of bread in Sibu. We all had a laugh. I wonder why my mum didn't have a box like that for the bread delivery boy.

My  funniest anecdote was when I saw the VACANCY sign  in motels, I thought, there were job vacancies and want to go in to apply for jobs. 



3 comments:

wenn said...

my letter box is built in..

Gattina said...

Lol, our letter box is standing alone and is in stone.

carol l mckenna said...

Great photo theme ~ and post ~ (A Creative Harbor)