Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Letter Alphabe-Thursday Q is for quiz: What is Pasifika.


Quiz question: What is pasifika? 

Pasifika is not an original word, but coined to include all the inhabitants of TokelaPacific nations – Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Niue, Samoa, Tahiti, Tonga, u, Tuvalu and Aoteoroa.

The event was held last week, and I go to support my Pasifika students. 





Here I am with my Tongan Student George. I had a lot of flowers on my hat, you can hardly see it here.



For a donation, they give you leis, I didn't like it on my neck, so I twirled it round my hat. I was also Pasifika. Yes, I tell my students, I come from the big pacific island of Borneo.



The Pasifika Festival is one of Auckland’s longest running major events and each March attracts tens of thousands of people to Western Springs Park for a fantastic day to celebrate Auckland’s Pacific heritage. The village concept was introduced to showcase 10 distinct Pacific Island communities through their art, performances and of course their food.
We’ve also introduced the Pan Pacific area which will be for stallholders who sell products from more than one nation.
In the tradition of past Pasifika Festivals, the 2013 event will represent 10 TokelaPacific nations – Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Niue, Samoa, Tahiti, Tonga, u, Tuvalu and Aoteoroa.


http://jennymatlock.blogspot.co.nz/
search/label/Alphabe-Thursday


6 comments:

eastcoastlife said...

This is one interesting event to attend. Hope I get a chance to see it should I ever go to Auckland.

Unknown said...

Oh! How fun and great post. It would be lovely to be on this event, too.

Eden House News and views said...

I so love the quality chance to learn on Here thank you

Sandra Tyler said...

Never heard of this. Interesting!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

what a great way to spend a day...

love the leis!

Jenny said...

Wow.

This was quite fascinating!

And I love the lei around the hat brim! It looks quite gorgeous there!

I always enjoy learning from you.

Thank you.

A+