Friday, January 2, 2009

Magnolia






There are nine siblings in our Chan family, and lots of nieces and nephews and their spouses. The internet has been the best thing since slice bread for us. We have an email loop of over thirty addresses and everyday, we have a flurry of emails flying over the world. The internet brings back nostalgia and new info for the younger generation. The youngsters and our in-laws began to appreciate and understand us better.

In 2006, shortly after the demise of my Dad, I got the writing juices going and started a journal of the family, "100 years in Borneo." Soon it became a family effort. Now, this blog is heading the same way, and is no longer my thoughts but a combination of the memories of Siblings and their children.

The magnolia plant is one which evoked so much memories, when I was writing my book, I confirmed with my sister Margaret who is a plant Pathologist and a Professor to make sure that it is what I think it is. She confirmed yes. The flower is HAM SIEW FA which has small flowers, instead of the big ones I have photographed in Auckland.

This big one is about eight inches in diameter and is white.

I will post another about the flower of our childhood.

No comments: