Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Wheels: Articulated/bendy bus





I was fortunate to be there at the right place at the right time when I was walking pass this Indian Temple at Balmoral. A bendy bus was pulling out of their car park. The driver had a difficult time manoeuvring out of the tight gates. 

There were many guides, and eventually, the driver straightened the bus and they went on. I asked one of the man waving at the passengers where the were going. They were going to a picnic.

What a big picnic it must have been for them to hire a bendy bus.

Bendy bus came to Auckland in the 1980s. I was a scary cat and didn't have the encourage to go on one. In Singapore, there are many bendy buses. I didn't go on one too. D used to say, Mum, it's like the MRT train. Well, I do go on the train, but I don't go on the bendy part.

1 comment:

Gordon said...

We have 'bendy' buses here too. I am amazed how the drivers can manoeuvre them through our suburban streets. Not to add to your fears, but a couple weeks ago on of our buses caught fire; an electrical fault in the bendy part!