Thursday, January 22, 2009

Allotment





This allotment is what I call a piece of paradise on earth. It may not even an allotment. In USA, they are called community garden. I am told, in UK, people pay some rental to the local council to plant in their allotment. In Singapore, the university gave us a plot, so that the residents don't plant any where they like and hence disrupt the neat and tidyness of the place. My friend K just moved to a retirement home where she has her own little unit. The gardener was very kind to let her have a little plot in the allotment.
I was walking yesterday afternoon along Mt Eden Road. I have not walked this road for twenty years. In between two buildings was this gem down in the valley.  It was so beautiful, just what I would dream about.
There was a man working down there, so I was discrete when taking the pix. I suppose if I told him I was a keen gardener, he would kindly show me his crops.
The garden was between two buildings, I wonder if an orignal building had been torn down, and the place left to become a bush. The man took it upon himself to make this garden. He puts me to shame with his manicured garden, and my unruly one.
There is a company which teaches people how to garden. I don't think the man in the pix needs anyone to teach him.

No comments: