Thursday, January 29, 2009

Painting Fences




Do you have incidences or chapters in books that you remember?

I don't know about you, but I do.

Tom Sawyer's whitewashing the fence by Mark Twain is something I always remember how Tom tricked his friends Huckleberry Finn and others (boys and girls) to paint his work for him by pretending it was a lot of fun. They had to "pay" him for this privilege. May be it is the constant reminder by all the fences around me. Perhaps it is the phrase: Build bridges, not fence that is deep inside the recess of my mind that has this impact.

I chanced upon this gentleman painting his fence that just jotted my memory. I studied this chapter when I was 12 and had just started my Secondary School in Methodist School in Sibu. I can't remember if it was chapter one. I never forgot. I can picture the teacher's face though I have forgotten his name.

No comments: