Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Fruit Tree for the birds





This fruit tree is at the corner of my deck. Right now, in Summer, the tree is in it's different stages. There are little clusters of  purple flowerlets. There are new fruits and yellow ripe fruits.
New Zealand native birds come and eat them. Once, Rose and I tried to eat them. there are a lot of little seeds. each fruit is about the size of a small glass marble that my brothers used to play with their mates in Sibu.  We didn't dare to eat more other than to taste them. I am sure it is edible as the birds eat them. It is sweet but has a slight bitter taste.
Upon close examination, there are a small set of leaves hidden inside the big leaves.
I can't find any where to tell me the name of this plant. i wonder if Margaret the plant pathologist who studied in Lincoln college might know. I often ask her to ID plants or my friend K.
For a closer pix, see my post on dandelion

4 comments:

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...


Pak Din We call it Terong belanda = Solanum tarvum. Native of neotropics and probably introduced by the Dutch here thus the name Terong belanda. Just bought a bunch this morning to put in sambal tumis
about a minute ago

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

http://weedbusters.co.nz/weed_info/detail.asp?WeedID=94

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, never seen anything like this before here in Jpn... some kind of figs perhaps?

Unknown said...

Never seen in Malaysia, maybe only can find it in NZ?