Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Zealand Ferns





I dedicate these photographs of New Zealand to my friend Yap, who shares his love for nature like I do.

The tall one is Tree Fern (ponga) Fron, I tried to find a perfect KORU, and have come close enough.

The other is a ground fern.

I didn't see a silver fern, our national plant today on our track to the Waitakeres ranges.


Once, my church Auckland Baptist sang and danced on this song.
A Pukeko in a Ponga Tree
The Twelve Days of Christmas
Kingi Ihaka 1981

I will publish a photo of the Pukeko bird on another post. A Pukeko is a big water fowl.

A great song for schools, or for singing in the car while you are all travelling back home to the coast for Christmas. The brightly illustrated book makes a good Christmas present to send to kids overseas.

On the first day of Christmas
My true love gave to me
A pukeko in a ponga tree

On the second day of Christmas
My true love gave to me
two kumera
And a pukeko in a ponga tree

On the third day of Christmas
....
and so on, until...

On the twelfth day of Christmas
My true love gave to me
Twelve piupius swinging
Eleven haka lessons
Ten juicy fish heads
Nine sacks of pipis
Eight plants of puha
Seven eels a swimming
Six pois a twirling
Five - big - fat - pigs !
Four huhu grubs
Three flax kits
Two kumera
And a pukeko in a ponga tree!

Christmas card
You can buy a Christmas card like this, and other similar cards, on-line at Kiwi Cards

No comments: