Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pumpkins and ferns




I am doing this for Science sake. Last night as I was writing on ferns, I remember my mum telling me that in the hot tropics, one should transplant seedlings in the evening, so that they have a rest from the truama over night. if we transplanted them in th emorning, the harsh sun would kill them. I had not needed to do this because for most of the year, the sun had not been so hot in Auckland. However, with the recent heat in Auckland, I did not want to take chances with Sam's pumpkins seedlings. So I planted them last night.
Mum also cut fronds of the Boston fern and made little wigwams to shelter the tender seedlings. So I did this to give them little umbrellas. When the leaves of the ferns dry up, they will drop to the ground, and adding some compost.
I will keep you posted.

No comments: