Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Australia day

I was in a park in Brisbane, heard some birds sing and, looked up the tree, and saw the Kookaburras.

Happy Australia to my family in Australia.



Marion Sinclair wrote this Australian Icon and classic song, Kookaburra sits in the old Gum tree. She wrote it in 1934 for a girl guide music competition. Half a century ago, my teacher taught me to sing this song in Methodist school, Sibu. I was singing in rounds and had no idea why the king was singing in the tree, or up the tree.

Back then, there were no copyright infringement, and the song was sung by the girl guides and some schools like mine in Borneo to the mountains of America. I, LOL, when I heard about the legal spat that The Down Under men at work were sued by Larrikin that they stole their song.

I took these photos when I was in Brisbane, Australia. I was attracted by the laughing of the bird. I looked up the gum tree and saw the two kookaburras.

http://youtu.be/F1fO1je3Oxg

When I was in Primary 1, my teacher taught me this song.
Kookaburra sits in the old Gum tree.
Some of my siblings have chosen to live in Australia. 
Australia is bitter sweet to me,
She claimed my mother's life while she was 60.


Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Merry, merry king of the bush is he
Laugh, Kookaburra! Laugh, Kookaburra!
Gay your life must be

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Eating all the gum drops he can see
Stop, Kookaburra! Stop, Kookaburra!
Leave some there for me

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Counting all the monkeys he can see
Stop, Kookaburra! Stop, Kookaburra!
That's not a monkey that's me

Kookaburra sits on a rusty nail
Gets a boo-boo in his tail
Cry, Kookaburra! Cry, kookaburra!
Oh how life can be

No comments: