Monday, May 8, 2017

Sunday stills: mechanical things



I am surprised to see this tiny vehicle with a trailer. I have only seen trailers in New Zealand. Most cars have tow bars, and it is very handy to tow trailers. Our friend G had a trailer, and in our early days, when ever we moved house, we borrowed his trailer to move our things.

I have my own fond memories of
tow bars. I have written it into my book.



This grass cutter with giant wheels is often on the road when I go to school or when I come back. I get impatient when I am behind him on my way to school. He just seems to take his own sweet time causing a long queue behind him. I don't mind so much on my way home.


I love this AA recovery truck. It is a life saver. I have used him when I had absent minded forgot to turn off the lights on a rainy or misty morning. Once I had to wait for two hours in a cold dark winter dusk. Not very nice.

I love this actually because it reminds me of the BIG vehicles that transport brand new cars across the Ambassador bridge from Windsor, Canada to Detroit and vice versa. The cars were placed in double decker levels. My friend N once joked, "I would love to be behind these truck, and if a car breaks away, I would jump into it and the car would be mine". My other friend W, always a skeptic said, " if the car rolls down, you would be dead."



America comes to New Zealand, I rephrase, American coffee comes to New Zealand. It is quite cheap, only $2.50 per cup. When this van is here, you know it's time to farewell winter. Parked along Great North Road, I noticed there is a wire attached to the power pole so his coffee is piping hot. There is ice cream and hot dog too.


This train is from an another era. It has retired and is an exhibit of the MOTAT, Museum of Transport and Technology. usually, I try to photograph it in my car, and didn't get a good photo. Yesterday, I walked there, and put my camera through the fence.



Like the train, these machines have out lives their hard labor, and are now exhibits. They look like farm equipment. New Zealand is a land of farms. Agriculture plays a very important role in our economy.




The Malaysian train is very long. It goes from Singapore all the way to the border. You buy your ticket from the station and the conductor checks your ticket. Once, we took it from one small town to another, they didn't even come and check our ticket. The trains must look the same, because we saw passengers going on the wrong train. They also stop and leave very quickly. My two city bred daughters once went to visit my mother-in-law. Before they can alight at the station, the train had gone to the next. A story indeed to last a life time.

a onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiK2RvpG9rNV_5-D20QoZ9C1WZu4zldzcx833gzpBOqWIMCQ5Bcv_1gksATYYnWI6179APp5Cz0pp1-KmIsghTRbATwuYiRiCZaGswpIEpaobCBNFYHQsLzxt_1yJiytBHapZSDvlgmlyT1/s1600-h/mech+mrt.jpg">

This is MRT, Singapore's super slick subway.


I don't like ferris wheels, they go so slow and they go no where. This is at Singapore Down Town East. Mt sister Grace had taken her kids and Sam to swim.

Inside a double decker bus in Singapore. My kids loved going to the upper deck. I seldom use it because I was worried with my bags of shopping, and little kids, I can't get out of the bus in time.

Well here it is, if it runs on fuel and can take two or more passengers lets see what ya’ll can come up with..:-)


Thank you Ed, I have a love affair with anything that goes Vroom! Vroom! The bigger the better. But the big ones often go so fast that by the time I whip out my camera, it is gone.

My love affair must have started when I was six, and Dad bought of first car.It was a
little Fiat 1100, it was little, but we loved it. The license plate was S899. The number was an auspicious one. 8 sounds like prosperous, and 9 sounds like forever. So it was prosperous forever. You may remember the Olympics in Beijing started on the 8th of the 8 of the 8th of the 8th. and last Wednesday, hordes of Chinese rushed to the marriage registry because it was the 9th of the 9, of the 9 of the 9.

http://sundaystills.wordpress.com/

No comments: