Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cherimoya



My fruit vendor tells me that these are cherimoya. They come from South America. At first I mistook them for a soursop that grows in Sarawak. I notice the skin is different. The cherimoya has big scales like skin. The sour sop has small spikes.

I didn't buy it despite my vendor's assurance that it is delicious. I don't like sour sop. It is unlikely that I will like cherimoya. Give me a real durian any time. LOL

The fruit is oval, often slightly oblique, 10-20 cm long and 7-10 cm diameter, with a smooth or slightly tuberculated skin. The fruit flesh is white, and has numerous seeds embedded in it. Mark Twain called the cherimoya "the most delicious fruit known to men."

3 comments:

Jama said...

I think the malays over here called it buah nona, looks very similar . Can't think of the english name for it, I've seen it sometimes being sold by fruit vendors.

Jama said...

No, it's not noni, that's one look totally different.I've goodgled buah nona, the scientif name is Annona Squamosa, almost similar to the cherimoya.

Hari raya is this Sunday, 20th Sept. Too many things to do but still got time to go online! lol

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Thanks Jama, I google searched Annona Squamosa, This is what the locals call custard apple. I don't to eat also. Custard apple is small like an orange. My parents grew them, but they don't fruit easily. Costs quite a lot at the fruit vendors.

Cherimoya is big, but smaller than soursop. The scale like skin not so scale as custard apple.

http://www.motherherbs.com/annona-squamosa.html