Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fathers' Day Two


This is a tribute to my own dad, John Chan Hiu Fei. I like to remember him by this photo taken in 1986 when D, aged 2 and I went to visit him in the Gold Coast of Australia.

Dad, Mum and Helen had taken us to currumbin-sanctuary to see the native wild life of Australia. We saw Koalas, kangaroos, wallabies and this emu. Dad was in his early 60s and he was trying to get near to the emu. We,the girls were laughing at him. We told him the emu runs very fast, he could never catch up. Mum was afraid the ranger would come and tell him off. This photo showed a different side of him, that Dad did like having fun. Dad was an Education Officer, and we always thought he was very strict.

Shortly after this trip, Mum died. That trip was a special trip for that reason. Dad died exactly eighteen years after Mum. After his death, I started writing. That book is still work in progress, but I discovered I love writing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another wonderful post Ann, I lost my dad 10 years ago to cancer. He wanted to much to retire and look after the grandchildren, we missed him deeply.