Monday, September 14, 2009

Old and in love.



I am not a good singer, nor do I remember lyrics, but I love this Beatles song. I often when I am doing the dishes sing," Would you still want me, would you still love me, when I am 64?"

I have been singing this more frequently since I celebrated my big five O with a big bang of running the quarter marathon. Since then, I have not run at all. Yesterday, I went for a looong walk of three and half hours. In the lovely park of Western Springs, the sun was shining, love is in the spring air, I saw this couple.

They epitomized what love it all about. He was in a scooter, and she, sitting on the bench with a walking frame. Ka Pai. I love it.

When I'm Sixty Four (64)
~ The Beatles

When I get older losing my hair,
Many years from now.
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine.

If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four.

You'll be older too,
And if you say the word,
I could stay with you.

I could be handy, mending a fuse
When your lights have gone.
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride.

Doing the garden, digging the weeds,
Who could ask for more.
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four.

Every summer we can rent a cottage,
In the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Grandchildren on your knee
Vera, Chuck & Dave

Send me a postcard, drop me a line,
Stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, wasting away

Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine for evermore
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was such a sweet post. HH and I will be married 50 yrs in April 2010. We love each other dearly. Blessings to you.
QMM

Unknown said...

Hey...I know that song! Congrats on being 50 or celebrating 50 years of marriage....cant be, you look too young :P

Ensurai said...

Many men in particular do not wish to be reminded of their age. They want to look young and feel needed (hence the song by the Beatles).
I love the song...and husbands as much as wives need some kind of reassurance every now and then.

The Chinese style of picking food for a love one is traditionally a very good way of expressing love and care. Most Chinese men do not like to openly express their love e.g. using bouquets but they do quietly wash the dishes and fold clothes and even take grand children for walks. But again not all Chinese men are like that....I believe in the normal curve...

I think when two have been happily married for a long time they can communicate well in many different ways. Those who still cannot need outside help!!

Ann...I can't believe you are 50!! You will always be that sweet young girl in my mind...wishing you many more years of lovely walks in the park and beautiful sunrises.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Dear all,

Today I had lunch with a wonderful woman R. I told her about this post. She told me, she has been married 61 years, and they still play tennis together. She told me that she is stuck with him, and the saying," The devil you know is better than the one you don't."

How about that?

Ka Pai.

I don't know her well enough to ask if I could do a blog on her and her husband. May be in time, I will ask her.