Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sunday Stills: Rule of the thirds
















http://sundaystills.wordpress.com/Sunday Stills, the next challenge: Rule of thirds
Posted in Sunday Stills Challenge of the Week, the next challenge with tags Sunday Stills Challenge on August 31, 2009 by Ed

As any good photographer can tell you the subject, unless macro should be in the top or bottom third of your viewfinder or the right or left third. so this weeks challenge is to use the rule of thirds. Any subject will do, just make sure it is either in the top or bottom or left or right of the picture.

Example: if shooting the sky have the horizon at the bottom of the pic, if shooting a horse pic have it off to the right or left with a pasture filling the screen. It just takes practice since we all tend to center the subject.

Have a great week…Ed

This is a great advice, I did not know this, I find that if I had taken photos of the sky, I have accidentally followed the one thirds rule. Well,almost. Thank you Ed, next time I am out taking photos, I will remember this rule.

7 comments:

Jen Mo said...

Great job! All nicely done!

Shirley said...

Good job, Ann; and that first one is bang on with the rule of thirds! Thanks for the view of a different part of the world. What is it that the tractor is scooping?

Anonymous said...

Great for me since I have begun to study photography, not just how to shoot but some of the rules, such as this. I am into day four of the 365 day assignment.
QMM

flowerweaver said...

The second one of the flowering shrub/tree is my favorite. What is the machine moving in the fifth? Looks like pumpkins. Good work!

Anonymous said...

Great shots, well done. :)

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

The tractor is moving palm oil kernels. Palm oil has a bad name in today's environmentally conscious world. I was waiting for my holidays to write a piece of impartial post on this, in view of the fact that my country of birth is producing palm oil, and my adopted country is against it.

I have taken lots of photos during my last holiday in preparation for this.

The flowers are called Pagoda flowers. The flowers narrow upwards like the Buddhist temple. They grow wild in the jungles of Borneo. They are also domesticated as in this photo, which I took in Singapore. It is a tall plant growing up to ten feet, especially in the jungle.

I am a non conformist, I did not know the rules of the third. I went through the archives of my photos, 99% of my photos do not adhere to the rule. I shall consciously try to follow the rule now especially for scenic ones.

Thanks for kind comments. These photos were not cropped because I took them on holiday and downloaded them to a computer where I can't find where to crop.

CTG Ponies said...

Very interesting pics!!