Monday, September 21, 2009

Knitting for friendship and charity.






Yesterday I crash gated on a group of about ten ladies in the MABC craft group. I was meeting my friend C for another meeting, but got in too late because I forgot where I placed my sets of knitting needles and I forgot what size wool and needles I needed to make winter slippers.

I sort of budged into the lounge with empty hands and the ladies were wondering why i was there. Any way, I sat beside R, remember the lady I told you who had married for 61 years? She was very busy "knit purl knit purl."

R told me that she was knitting baby jackets for the leprosy mission. As a volunteer, she had knitted 150 of those. 150???? Ka Pai good job R.

I told her I knitted two of those, and have not knitted any since. We chatted, she said, may be I will when I become a grand mother. I flipped through her folder and found the pattern I used almost 25 years ago. I thought they were called scallops pattern but these ladies said it was feather something.

D, my 25 year old kept the pattern and I think one set of the pink jacket. I dug out the old photos. Was I clever? I made sets of matching jackets, leggings, booties, bonnets and beanies.

The last I knitted recently was starting a scarf for G until she ran out of wool. Will I be taking up knitting after this? I pointed to my camera. My computer has taken over my life at this time. I haven't done any charity work for a while. I still tell people about the Deaf Children in Kenya that I have abandoned.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are really clever...knitting is one thing I cannot do because I like moving around more...so now that I have hung up my tennis racket I might consider...but then the lap top is such a nice toy...sigh!

Absolute Beauty in knits!! Well done!

Sarawakiana

life's journey said...

Knitting is great but it seems i cannot make even to start it. Happy Ruby Tuesday.

MaR said...

What a wonderful project!!
Happy RT!

Nukke said...

So nice memories in pics !!! And great Text !!!!! That was very interesting !

DeniseinVA said...

I think you are very clever, I don't knit and am always impressed with people who do. Such a very worthy cause! I enjoyed your post very much, thank you.

DeniseinVA said...

I also meant to say what a very cute little baby.