Saturday, October 4, 2014

Sue, my Samoan friend.



It must be fate

On Friday, I meet a group of 

Samoan Unitec students. 

Today, I talk to Adele for 

the first time in church for the first time..


Samoa has a special place in my heart. 

I had a Samoan wedding dress.



Yester-year, Sue and I were good friends, we were also neighbours in Scalan Street, Grey Lynn in late 1970s. Sue was from Samoa. 

When she knew I had no money to buy a wedding dress, she told me about the Samoa way where the brides have wedding dresses given by their aunties. Sue asked if I minded borrowing her cousin dress. She assured me that the dress has not been worn, as her cousin had 12 dresses. She said I didn't have to pay anything, but would I invite her cousin to the wedding. The cousin even gave me a wedding gift.

Sue made sponge cakes for my wedding reception. She told me that we have to be very quiet and not slam the doors, otherwise the cakes would fall flat.

I miss you, Sue. I wonder if you are still in New Zealand or are you back in Samoa.

I ask my students to ask Mum if they know Sue.


No comments: