Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fluffy: Guria, PNG bird


My friend living in Papua New Guinea posted on Facebook this Guria, a bird hunted by villages.

Pidgin for: "shaking". Can be used for shivering, twitching or earthquakes. The guria bird is the largest species of pigeon in the world (I think) and shakes it's tail back and forwards: hence its name.

The Victoria Crowned Pigeon, Goura victoria, is a large, bluish-grey pigeon with elegant blue lace-like crests, maroon breast and red iris. The bird may be easily recognized by the unique white tips on its crests. Both sexes are similar. It is on average 74 cm (29 in) long and weighs 2,384 grams (5.3 lbs). It is marginally larger than the other crowned pigeons on average and likely the largest species of pigeon of earth. Due to continuing habitat loss, being tame and easily hunted for its plumes and meat, the Victoria Crowned Pigeon is evaluated as Vulnerable on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. It is listed in Appendix II of CITES.


The crown fluffs out and hence, I am using this for my theme, fluffy.

"When I fluff my hat, I will have tea with the queen."

Their appetites are voracious. They’ll eat fruit, berries and nuts,

Here's my exchange of posts with Moh.

Moh Mee Sui This bird is called "Guria" in PNG, Have you seen it before?

It looks like an "ANGRY BIRD"!

Moh Mee Sui It looks angry because it was unlucky and caught by the hunter.

Ann Chin tell me more, as it killed? do people eat it?

Moh Mee Sui Ya, the villagers hunt them for food too, and many other animals.

Ann Chin Moh, is the guria endangered, how big? how heavy?


Moh Mee Sui As big as chicken about 3 or 4 kg maybe? Not sure, I never want to harm these poor birds and animals.

Ann Chin Can fly?

Moh Mee Sui Can fly but not far and high, only short distance. You are right, it looks very much like pigeon.


For more photos, go to Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Crowned_Pigeon


http://gattina-keyholepictures.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/list-of-photo-hunting-themes.html

http://gattina-keyholepictures.blogspot.co.nz/

March 3: Fluffy

9 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

I have never seen this interesting bird before. thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

thats a pretty bird

Ebie said...

I have not seen this bird, but its bigger and more colorful than our regular pigeon.

eastcoastlife said...

I have never heard of this bird until now. It's an angry bird indeed. haha.....

Gattina said...

I have never seen a bird like this, it really has an odd look ;)

Jama said...

I know we do have some crowned pigeons at Jurong Bird Park, very pretty!

Anne said...

What an interesting bird! I like the way it looks.

And yes, I like Chinese painting a lot! Thanks for visiting mine.

Annie
http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/annienc/2012/03/photohunt_fluffy.html

YTSL said...

Photo Hunt entry on a Tuesday? Well, I never! ;O

Kay L. Davies said...

A very interesting bird, Ann. I've never heard of it before. The crest on its head is beautiful. I hate to think of it being killed for food, but if people are hungry, and have to hunt...
K