Sunday, February 19, 2012

Save the world: Garbage Enzyme







I am rather a laggard in experimenting in this exercise of turning garbage into Enzyme.

In 2009, I visited Malaysia and Singapore and I was introduced to making a multi purpose cleanser. A friend whose husband is a university professor gave me some leaflets of information of how a Thai inventor had started this. I was naturally sceptical. What good can come out of a third world country like Thailand.

Recently, I was talking to my sister E who had just retired as a school principal. I was telling her about my over abundance of plums from my plum trees. We talked about Enzyme, and she was very happy with hers. She said her floor was very clean after using it. I felt convinced to give it a try.

Here it is.

The proportion is 1 part brown sugar, 3 parts fruit and/or vegetable waste, 10 parts of water.



Steps:

1: Mix sugar with water, add the fruit/veg, orange/lemon peels will give a nice citrus smell.

2: Fill in air tight plastic containers/bottles, leaving about 2 inches for fermentation.



Here it is.

The proportion is 1 part brown sugar, 3 parts fruit and/or vegetable waste, 10 parts of water.



Steps:

1: Mix sugar with water, add the fruit/veg, orange/lemon peels will give a nice citrus smell.

2: Fill in air tight plastic containers/bottles, leaving about 2 inches for fermentation.

3: Store in a cool, dry and well ventilated area.

4: Do not put it where there is direct sunlight.

5: After the first week, slowly open the cap to release gas, be sure not to shake the bottle.

6: Push the floating veg downward every once in a while.

7: Ferment for at least 3 months.

8: Filter and it is ready for use. You get a brownish fluid.

9: The solids can be put in the garden as fertiliser. Some people recycle this to restart a new batch.

10: Add about 1 tablespoon to your normal washing solution.

****************

I made my batch, and am using it. The dishes are less oily, but it could be psychological.

I asked my friends in Malaysia, one told me an interesting use, her husband sprays it in her bird cage, and gives the cage a good smell.

Some people make a lot of claims about being environmentally friendly and saving money. I don't know about saving money, because you spent quite a bit on the brown sugar. Environmentally friendly, perhaps, since you reduce the use of detergent. I am still experimenting, I have started a batch with my apples.

Please give me your opinion.


http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

Argentum Vulgaris said...

Interesting, this is a new one on me. Came to visit from Meet & Greet.

AV

Anonymous said...

That is SUCH a cool experiment. I wonder if people would take the time to do it though. It's rather complicated. Still, I might give it a go....
Stopping by from the Meet and Greet!

nannykim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nannykim said...

Sounds like too much work for me....It probably isn't a lot of work...it does sound strange. You would think all of that sugar would make it sticky. I guess because you have it sealed it will not breed fruit flies? You asked about the shell in my photo--yes they have holes and from certain angles you get to see the pretty insides of the shells--I think they are more interesting that way!

Anonymous said...

Interesting! I am always looking for new ways to green cleaning. I may just have to try this.

~ Jordyn @ The Green House

New follower from Reduce Footprints Meet & Greet Monday.

http://thegreenhouseboutique.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

That's very interesting! I'll have to give it a try (I love trying new eco-friendly things). Found you through the Monday Meet & Greet.

Peace. ;)

Ensurai said...

How nice!! It is a useful housekeeping skill. Keep it up!! I go to my fruit vendor friends and ask for pineapple peels and lemon skins...

Unknown said...

Wow ... I've never heard of this. I'll be interested to learn what you think of it after using it for awhile and whether or not you'll continue with it!