Monday, December 22, 2008

Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls



The Vietnamese are famous for their rice paper rolls. It is not deep fried so it a welcoming change especially to the health conscious people. Richard in one of the Top Chef competition served this to the policemen.

I was introduced to this by the real McCoy Vietnemese as I made friends with refugees in Auckland in the early 1980s, and later in NTU, wives of lecturers who became my good friends.

During the pre Christmas morning tea at church, I made these, a vegetarain version. Indeed, a big change from the sweet and more sweet Christmas goodies.

***Usually, you serve this as a dip with a lemon, chilli and fish sauce. The fish sauce is quite strong to a Caucasian palate, so I miss this out.

The rice paper comes from Vietnam, you can buy similar Thai ones. ***

No comments: