Thursday, December 31, 2009

Friday Shootout: Eden Park






Eden Park



http://mytownshootout.blogspot.com/
http://mytownmrlinky.blogspot.com/

To kick off the new year our assignment is UNDER CONSTRUCTION. The first thing that comes to mind might be building sites of construction companies, or construction projects that we are involved in.

However, the possibilities are limitless. Maybe you would like to feature the construction of your new year's resolutions.

I am on holiday and my mind is also on holiday, so I take the easy one, the actual construction or reconstruction of our biggest rugby and cricket venue.

Home to rugby and cricket. Eden Park was named the finals venue for the Rugby World Cup 2011 and the co-host for Cricket World Cup 2015.

Today, Eden Park seats 48,000 spectators. The Park will be redeveloped to a 60,000 seat capacity in time for Rugby World Cup 2011.

This is the second time I got near to Eden Park. The first was when the South African Spring Bok's tour in 1981. We were living in Kingsland and were walking near the Kingsland Train Station. The then Prime Minister Robert Muldoon, whose public position was that politics should not interfere with sport.

There we saw the protestors holding banners chanting, one, two, three, four, we don't want your racist tour. The late David Lange, the then opposition leader was among the protestors. I wanted to join them and be part of History, but the water engineer stopped me. Things could get nasty as the supporters of the tour were also there. Some were shouting," Commie, go home."

I took my photographs at the exit 29.

22 comments:

Bagman and Butler said...

I'd be right in the middle of the protesters shouting, "Great shootout! Great shootout!"

Anonymous said...

Always something like that going on. They are building a new area in Louisville and the protestors are numerous. Happy New year to you. Interesting shootout.
QMM

Ken Wooi said...

great! Happy 2010!

wenn said...

happy new year!

NanU said...

Hey, Ann, we have rugby-related Eden Park over here too! Only it's a menswear shop, and their favorite color is pink. Some retiring rugby players started the shop, and took up pink as a manly dare and now it's quite successful.

Enjoy the world cup in 2011, and have a great 2010 while you're waiting!

Jama said...

I'll be the first one to run away from any protester! Since you've lived in Singapore, you know that any protesters spelt trouble with the law. :p

Sara Diana said...

Great photos! Happy New Year to you Ann x

Pauline said...

I enjoyed seeing those progress photos, Anne. I was in Auckland the day and night of that protest, too. Happy New Year1

Chef E said...

I walk away from your sight each time learning new stuff, and I love it! B&B just distracted me and now I am laughing...shots fired and I would knock the fence down!

Happy New Year!

A Scattering said...

Ann, thanks for the history reminder, I had forgotten about this. Happy New Year from Canada!

GingerV said...

good job, you always have the most interesting things to say. I always wonder why there is enough money for new stadiums but when you say 'we need new schools for our children' there is never any money. Hope for a happy and prosperous year for you and yours. Ginger

Ensurai said...

Men's games garner a lot of funding and sponsorship...so they build huge arenas/stadiums..probably to attend to masculine needs.

Shelters and many social programmes seem to be low in priorities. These problems would have been less if the men spend more quality time with their families and earning enough to keep family together...

Kerry said...

Rugby and cricket: two sports that I don't know very well. But what a huge new stadium, and some big games to look forward to! Happy New Year!

Kathy in CA said...

Rugby is something I don't think I'll ever understand... :) Great job on the shootout, and Happy New Year!

Barry said...

Wonderful photos and a great write up!

Have a Happy New Year. I hope your 2010 is the year ever!

eastcoastlife said...

My wishes for you,
Great start for Jan,
Love for Feb,
Peace for March,
No worries for April,
Fun for May,
Joy for June to Nov,
Happiness for Dec,
Have a lucky and wonderful 2010, Ann!

spiritsoflena said...

Very nice. Hope you have a Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

nice write up and photos Ann.

happy new year!!

aurbie said...

I'm with Bagman and Butler. I would be right there, especially if someone told me to stay away.

Wonderful photos and commentary.

Gordon said...

Thank you for the great post and commentary. Eden Park is very interesting.

Sandra Leigh said...

Very interesting, Ann. You said you were taking the easy road, but in fact you took the photo shootout to another level with your commentary. Good for you. I hope you're having a great holiday.

J9 said...

A Beautiful sportspark!