Monday, April 16, 2012

Outdoor wednesday: Running for a cause

I have never been a good sports person.  I told my friend Sarawakiana, I usually came last in most of the events I took part in.  The word, " hard luck", remains in the niche of my brain, came from the house captain when he was with me when as a 13 year old, I failed to clear the bar of the junior girls high jump. But I was always willing and available. So, I was chosen in many events and sports to make up the number..
I celebrated my 50th with a big bang. I ran the 1/4 Marathon with my girlfriend L. Both of us had not run much, but we persevere, woke up every morning and trained. The reward and icing on the cake was going at 4 am in a taxi and finishing our race with the world greats from Kenya, Ethipioa and Tanzania in the Singapore Marathon in 2005. I gloated with pride. As the saying goes, Pride goes before a fall, I hardly ran again. The water enginner was persuading me to run, saying I mustn't " rest on my laurels"
A woman who trained at the Staff Club gym asked if I was running for any one.
"Huh?"
She said she ran for the Salvation Army, and with my popularity on  campus, I could have garnered a lot of sponsors. She invited me to join her team. Then I left Singapore to return to New Zealand.

I got involved with Sands actively, and heard from another Sand's mum in Australia had her friends running for Sands. I shared this with my previous running partner L, and she fully supported me to train for the1/2 marathon.  She would encourage me online as she is now in USA. I told a running colleague and she encouraged me. 

However, age, inertia, laziness and weak pelvic floor muscles led  me running for only 1 kilometer a couple of times. A far cry from the 20 km I was aiming for. secretly.  



 Once a year, Auckland runs a charity run, Round the Bays run. That year, inertia made me ashamed. The husband and son went, people ran in the rain. I ran with my fingers taking photos. The next year, I walked.

I did go for an arduous "trekking" once, to train for a healthy life style.
Of late, my very good friend K I knew in Singapore told me she was aiming to walk the marathon. She invited me to join her, and we still have 2 years to train. Walking is "doable."  if I can overcome my laziness and practise. K is already walking 3 hours a day, and I am parking my backside infront of the computer. and let my finger do the walking. Ahhhh!

Reading this news from rare Genes Project, makes my legs itchy again.  Those of you in UK, please support. In fact, you don't have to be from UK. The world is so small with the cyber highway.
Wowza - from BBC - Sister runs equivalent of "10 marathons in 10 days" for her 14 year old sister (Hailey Okines) who has rapid and fatal aging disorder called Progeria - Progeria Research Foundation

So touching and inspirational! ❤ and "share" if you think so too!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17720214

www.bbc.co.uk
The sister of a 14-year-old girl with a rare ageing condition completes her challenge to run 10 marathons in 10 days.




http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com

4 comments:

Karin said...

It's wonderful to see those who can do the running, doing it passionately! Every one of us is different, and some of us are running a race of a different type! Blessings!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Oliver Wong Ann, good story. I took up jogging while in NZ. The most memorable one is when at 5.30am in the winter, we ran all the way up to the top of Mt. Eden and back. I was wearing only a pair of shorts, T-shirt and a pair of cheap jogging shoes.We were staying somewhere near Mt. Eden. Forgot the name.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Lydia Yau I have been so busy, I only got in once a week! sometimes none a week! In a few more weeks it'll be better... Continue to at least to try to train, who knows we might still run together - another race, whether slow jogging like we used to do or walking... Come Ann & myself!!!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Ellen Hopes I am so athletic I drove! Working out is something I need to work on!