Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunday stills: Beauty or the beast


Don't you think these are beauties? The water engineer disagrees, and want to get rid of my wild flowers. The mothers of these beauties reside in a patch of untended land next to my old house. When they are in bloom, they are so beautiful. One year, I had pots of tomatoes and chillis plants in my garden. The mothers sent seeds over, knowing I had been appreciating them. They grew in my pots taking over my cultivated tomatoes and chillis.  I took care of them, when blooming, the purple flowers are so beautiful. But now, I have been spending too much time on the computer, the flowers dry up and I still think they are beautiful and can be used as dry flowers.

One man's meat is another's poison.





Verbena bonariensis is a tall and slender-stemmed perennial. It can grow to 6 ft (120 cm) tall and can spread to 3 ft (90 cm) wide. At maturity, it will develop a woody base. Fragrant lavender to rose-purple flowers are in tight clusters located on terminal and axillary stems, blooming from mid-summer until fall frost. The stem is square with very long internodes. Leaves are ovate to ovate-lanceolate with a toothed margin and grow up to 4 in (10 cm) long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbena_bonariensis
http://sundaystills.wordpress.com/

Sunday Stills-Beast or Beauty

I must say I really enjoyed last weeks challenge. It was interesting to see which challenges people chose to honour Ed with. If any of you has an idea for a new challenge or wants to revise one of the old ones please leave a comment :)
Sara from Punkin’s Patch suggested this one and I didn’t really know how to title it ;) Take something bad and find a way to make it look good/find some beauty in it – at least photographically. Like an invasive weed, dusty cupboard, scummy pond, flies…
Here’s something I think is beautiful…..but I hate them growing in my lawn;

4 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm all for keeping natural plantings!
Greetings!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Yes, I think they are really pretty. I think there are no weeds, only wildflowers. One must admire them for persevering and growing no matter what, and blooming wherever they are planted. Men don't like them and only want to mow the grass!

Terry and Linda said...

They are pretty, even thistle are pretty, I draw the line in my yard, but other places A-Okay!

http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Terry and Linda said...

They are pretty, even thistle are pretty, I draw the line in my yard, but other places A-Okay!

Linda

http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com