Thursday, November 13, 2008

EULOGY FOR A DEPARTED FRIEND

I don't consider myself old. I have just past half a century. I shudder because three of my classmates have died.

This was an eulogy I wrote for a guy friend. I was in Singapore when he died in Sibu suddenly, the town I grew up in. I flew to Sibu to pay my respects to his wife.

This eulogy is also on another site.


17 May 2001

I shuddered at the sad news of Siau Chung.
People don't die at 47 or 48...
I remember him as one of the Sylvester boys.
I remember him, sitting behind me at Lower 6, his joke Slaughtering chicken without the need of a Cattle knife, cos he got a 1 in Form 5 history.
I remember bidding him farewell and good luck when he got a scholarship to study overseas.
I remember feeling really sad because we just started being very good friends.
I remember joking at his Botak aka bald head during the Reunion.
I remember joking at both of us having the youngest children among us.
And now, he is gone.
Yet, death where art thy Sting?
I hope our early years at Methodist School would have given us a strong foundation of our Faith. So that at the moment when Death knocks at our door, we can smile and know that we are returning to our Father in heaven.

No comments: