Monday, November 17, 2008

Online Degrees verses Traditional Degrees

Online Degrees verses Traditional Degrees

I get spam mail, and this is one of them.

Good News!

Interested to obtain Bachelors', Masters', MBA's, Doctorate & Ph.D. degrees
available in your field in 2 weeks time?

It's available now...

Call Us and get yours today


I must confess that I am very biased regarding this matter. I come from the old school where I went to university and got my degrees. I am married to a professor who tells me that his university does not recognise online degrees.

If you were an employer, and you have the CV of two job applicants. One has an internet degree and another has a formal degree. Who would you employ?

I bet you will employ the latter because the latter had slot through all the projects and examinations of a known system. A lot of work is done in a group, and you can be assure that most likely you have a team player. You will also be able to approach the candidate's professors for a referee.

How could you ascertain that the holder of the internet degree actually did his own work? Who knows if he had done "cut" and "paste" in his work? There is no proof that the candidate can be a team player as all he had done is work alone on the computer.

In this day and age, EQ is very much as important as IQ. There are many dodgy educational institutions out there in the internet world. One can't blame the prospective employer to be prudent and choose the candidate with the formal degree.

One would be familiar with the saying, "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't."

Many universities do not recognize an internet degree as a pre-requisite for post graduate studies. They have known from previous experience that these students don't measure up.

I stand by my belief that an internet degree is not as valuable as a formal degree.

No comments: