Friday, January 16, 2009

The great outdoors: canoes and kayaks





In New Zealand, school children are taught water wise. With a long coast line, and lots of rivers, there are great places for water sports.
New Zealand rowing has been very successful with Rob Waddell's gold medal victory at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games and  Georgina Evers-Swindell and Caroline Evers-Swindell winning gold at the 2004 Athens  and 2008 Beijing Olympics Games.
Every boy wants to be Rob Waddell. Every girl wants to be a Swindell twin.
***This store is at Sandringham Road just before the shops. I have not been inside. In the Gold coast, I went once in Joseph's kayaks, my kayak wasn't going anywhere, despite my hard paddling. In Christchurch, Karen and Charles took me to Avon river to paddle a canoe. The paddle was faulty, water kept coming to my arm and got me wet.  In Sibu where I grew up, when it flooded every year, Dad made a raft out of planks and a oil drum. We had fun.***

No comments: