Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Alberton








This romantic timber mansion began as a farmhouse in 1863 and was later expanded to 18 rooms, with fairy-tale decorative verandahs and towers. It was owned by the Kerr Taylors, a leading family in Mount Albert, until it was left to the New Zealand Historic Places Trust in 1972. Allan Kerr Taylor was a landowner, investor and provincial and local body politician. His wife Sophia was an outspoken advocate of the vote for women, as well as a singer, gardener and mother of 10.
Alberton was famous in the 19th century for its balls, hunts, garden parties and music. It contains a wealth of original family furniture and other possessions, and several rooms retain their 19th century wallpapers.

It is used as a wedding venue. You may tour the gardens for free, or if you wish to enter the house, the entrance fee is $7.50.

I did not enter the house, as I am more interested in the grounds. It is a beautiful place.

1 comment:

Granny Smith said...

That is indeed a beautiful house! I'll alert my daughter to your blog because I know she will be delighted to see it's fairytale lacy look. (She is the photographer for my set of Berkeley houses).